Sunday, August 9, 2009

Representing Multiple Currencies in Double Entry Bookkeeping?

I%26#039;m not interested in any packages or software, just how this is done conceptually.



If I bill European clients in euros where I normally use US$, how does the exchange rate work when putting together a transaction.



For example: I invoice Company A for E2000. I get a transaction like



Sales - CR $2400



Invoices Payable (Euros) - DB E2000



Then they settle up with me



Invoices Payable (Euros) - DB E2000



Cash at Bank - CR $2200



The exchange rate changes all the time - and as it stands I%26#039;ve lost $200 here - how do you get these figures to balance?



I%26#039;m not an accountant, and I have magical software to actually do this for me, but I%26#039;m trying to understand how double-entry bookkeeping works, so I%26#039;d like to know :)



Thanks in advance.



Representing Multiple Currencies in Double Entry Bookkeeping?credit score





Just remember double entry doesn%26#039;t mean only two lines - it means two sides to the entry. Ignoring actual exchange rates, the entry would be something like this:



Sales $2400 CR



AR 鈧?000 DR



Payment goes



AR 鈧?000 CR



Cash $2200 DR



Loss 200 DR



Loss would be named, perhaps, gain/loss on exchange rate. You can either net them, or debit a loss account, and credit a gain account. Hope that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment